Good news moms, long gone are the days where “chic” and “loungewear” no longer belong in the same sentence. PS..that’s a world where my sanity would be questioned, because, guess what?!!? I’d do it anyway. I’m definitely not a rule follower, or a follower of any kind. So, if I feel good wearing it, then I’m going to wear it!
One common thing I hear from moms is ..“I just want to be comfortable”. I get it, moms, especially with young kids, think about all sorts of variables. Will I have to run after Alex today? Will Susie, climb all over me, while I try to feed Jimmy? My “mom tummy” can’t handle a waistband today. These are all very valid concerns.
“But guess what, the word comfortable, is relative to the individual. What I may find comfortable, you may not.”
For example, I find most jeans remarkably comfortable. I’ve got so many different cuts, some with stretch, some that are rigid denim (my fave), lightweight, heavyweight, etc, yet some moms absolutely hate jeans, and find them to be terribly restrictive.
“Saying I want to be comfortable, doesn’t necessarily mean you should, immediately, jump right to sweats or yoga pants.”
BUT, I do realize for some, this is an automatic “go to” for those “I just want to be comfortable” days. So being the wonderful, middle child, helper that I am…I’m going to share your best option …
Enter loungewear. I absolutely love loungewear! Wait, let me rephrase that, I absolutely love “chic” loungewear! I work from home, and there are those days where I want to stay in my pajamas all day long. But I know myself. If I did decide to stay in my pajamas, I would very likely, be extremely unproductive. I’d want to lay around all day. I’d be nervous about someone unexpectedly dropping by. If I had to answer the door for the UPS guy, (he’s now my best friend, since I see him at least twice a week), I’d have to hide behind the door.
“My pajamas are all very stylish, but they are still PAJAMAS!…. it’s a mindset thing.”
Lucky for us, busy moms, the “athleisure” trend is in full swing. What is this befuddling term, athleisure, you say? It’s where a garment that was designed for working out or activewear, is worn outside of its “recommended” setting. Have you seen sneakers worn with a dress or leather pants, and thought “oh how cool, would have never thought of that”…chances are, that fashionista is indulging in this trend. Unless it’s me…I’ve been doing it long before it was “cool” because I’ve always been a tomboy at heart, and it’s a go to for me.
“Do I care about trends? NO! I do not…but if you do (you shouldn’t) then, lucky for you….you’ll be on trend!”
So what do I do on these days? I wear “OUTSIDE PAJAMAS” aka… loungewear. What if I need to run a quick errand? Or someone wants to arrange an impromptu playdate for the kiddos? This way, you’re still just as comfy as you would be in your PJ’s, but you won’t be in that “pajama mindset“...yep, I’ve just made that a thing!. There are so many options available now to fit any budget. But whatever you do, do not interpret this post as carte blanche, or permission to be frumpy! Remember, this is a no frump zone!
Btw, the pajama trend is also in full swing, but I know that quite a few of you may not be as apt to indulge in that, versus chic loungewear. Besides, we’re chit chatting about comfort today and loungewear is your best option for those “I need to be comfy” days.
You can get a set like I’ve done. This set is from Lou & Grey via Loft. But, I have several from different brands, in different materials, from ringspun cotton to cashmere. Let me just say this…yes, cashmere IS luxurious and feels like heaven, but it is not in everyone’s budget. Enter Lou & Grey. If you have never tried any of their loungewear, you are seriously missing out!! It’s as if they have magical, comfort fairies that enter the dreams of newborn babies, steal their happy thoughts and spin them into softness! “Slightly” exaggerating… but holy shizz, they are so soft! If you haven’t already, go try them NOW!! All that comfort AND cozy chic… I mean look at this and this. How can you resist?!!
“What boxes do you need to check, to ensure you avoid looking sloppy, while wearing loungewear as an outfit?”
- Make sure you are using intentional styling tricks, just as you would, if you weren’t rocking outdoor pajamas. If wearing joggers, gather them above your ankles, rather than have them hang down, unless they hit right at your sweet spot…the ankle. If wearing a cardigan or sweatshirt, scrunch the sleeves, and do a front/side tuck if possible.
- Have some fun with accessorizing. Add a fun scarf, cape a jean jacket, wear with fun ballet flats, a cute hat for those dirty hair days..the options are endless. By the way, that bag I’m using..one of the best, large tote bags I own! And bonus moms, it can hold a small child! And so well made.
- Add an element of luxury. Wear that beautiful necklace, luxury watch or maybe add your luxe leather jacket. I really like this one.
- They need to be MODERN. You should not be wearing your ratty, old gym sweats saying, “Well, Nickie told me it’s ok to wear loungewear”. No I did not! I said chic AND modern! Old and ratty do not qualify! Like I’ve said before, and will say until I’m blue in the face…you deserve better than that!!!!
- Not really sure why I still need to say this one, but based on what I see, I’m saying it anyway, FOR. THE. LOVE…., please make sure they are CLEAN and do NOT have holes!…
- I know some of you moms might break out ye ole torch and pitchfork, while gathering the villagers to come after me…. but please, brush your hair, maybe toss on a lipgloss, a touch of blush perhaps? The point is to LOOK like you are intentionally dressing down, not that you’ve barely dragged your butt out of bed, sloppily wiped the drool off your chin, to get Bobby to school on time. I know this is me several days a week! But I don’t look that way…that’s the point. Sometimes you just need to look better than you feel. There are so many days I feel like absolute crap, but if I take the time to make even the smallest amount of effort with my appearance, it helps me feel more confident, so I usually have a better day…outside pajamas and all!!!
That’s all folks! If you have specific questions, contact me and I will happily help, free of charge (to a point..I can’t offer an entire 7 hours styling session, I do have a life!:) but I will help, whenever I can.
Hope this was useful! Please share with your mom friends, and feel free to comment below. Don’t forget to sign up to be notified next time I post! Tuesdays and Fridays.